We absolutely love crumbles, can’t get enough of them. Unfortunately the majority of recipes call for winter fruits – rendering the magnificent fruit crumble out of season in the summer months.
Not content with limiting our crumble quota to a mere 4 months of the year we have devised this simple summer recipe.
Strawberries and rhubarb are in abundance right now and work fantastically well as a base for your favourite crumble topping. Whats more, as the strawberries cook down, you are left with the most delicious juice at the bottom of the dish – so good I could drink that alone.
Of course this recipe would work equally as well with any number of summer fruits, but in my opinion this combination is simply sublime.
Rhubarb & Strawberry Crumble
800g Strawberries, Topped & Halved
8 Sticks Rhubarb, Cut into 1″ Chunks
100g Unsalted Butter
200g Self Raising Flour
3tbsp Caster Sugar
3tbsp Demerara Sugar
1tsp Ground Cinnamon
1) Pre-heat the oven to 180C. Place the rhubarb in the dish you wish to serve the crumble in and sprinkle with the caster sugar. Roast in the oven for 15 minutes or until just tender.
2) Whilst the rhubarb is roasting make the crumble by rubbing the butter into the flour and ground cinnamon until combined (the texture of fine breadcrumbs). Add the oats to the crumble mixture.
3) Once the rhubarb is cooked, add the strawberries and toss to combine.
4) Sprinkle the fruit evenly with the crumble mixture. Then sprinkle the crumble mixture evenly with the Demerara sugar.
5) Bake in the oven at 180C for approximately 30-40 minutes or until golden.
Enjoy either cold or warm with custard or vanilla ice-cream!