These deliciously light spiced pork and courgette patties are adapted from a great Ottolenghi recipe.
Best served with sumac and honey yogurt dressing, pita bread and a root vegetable slaw.
Pork & Courgette Patties, Sumac Yogurt
For the Patties: 700g Lean Minced Pork, 1 Large Courgette (Grated), 1 Small Bunch Spring Onions (Finely Sliced), 1 Egg Yolk, 3 Small Garlic Cloves (Crushed), 2tsp Ground Cumin, 2tsp Sea Salt, 1tsp Cayenne, 1 1/2tsp Cracked Black Pepper
For the Sumac Yogurt: 150g Sour Cream, 75g Greek Yogurt, 2tsp Lemon Zest, 1tbsp Lemon Juice, 1 Garlic Clove (Crushed), 2tbsp Olive Oil, 1tbsp Sumac, 1tbsp Honey, 3tbsp Chopped Mint, 3tbsp Chopped Coriander, 1/2tsp Sea Salt
For the Root Vegetable Slaw: 2 Carrots (Julienned), 1/2 Large Celeriac (Julienned), 3 Small Cooked Beetroot (Finely Sliced), 3tbsp Olive Oil, 2tbsp Chopped Mint, Small Handful Salad Leaves, 1tsp Sea Salt
1) To prepare the patties, combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl and mix well until the courgette is fully incorporated. Shape the mixture into small and equal patties and store in the fridge until ready to cook.
2) Prepare the sumac yogurt by combining all of the ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside to serve.
3) Prepare the root vegetable slaw by combining all of the ingredients in a large bowl. Set aside to serve.
4) Fry the patties in a large, well oiled frying pan over a medium-high heat for around 6-8 minutes each side or until cooked through. It is often helpful to cover the pan for the second half of cooking to ensure the patties will be fully cooked whilst maintaining their moisture.
5) Serve the patties with some warmed pita, the sumac yogurt and some root vegetable slaw.