Chicken stuffed and rolled with pancetta, parmesan and mushroom duxelle, served with blue cheese cream sauce.
A delicious and impressive supper, full of earthy flavour from the mushroom and blue cheese. Wrapping the chicken tightly in kitchen foil before baking ensures it retains its shape.
This dish is best served with roast parsnip and sauté potatoes.
Chicken, Mushroom, Blue Cheese
For the Chicken with Mushroom Duxelle: 2 Chicken Breasts, 25g Unsalted Butter, 150g Wild Mushrooms (Very Finely Chopped), 1 Shallot (Finely Chopped), 1 Garlic Clove (Crushed), 50g Smoked Pancetta (Diced), 1/4tsp Grated Nutmeg, Small Handful Parsley (Chopped), 2tbsp Grated Parmesan, Sea Salt, Cracked Black Pepper
For the Blue Cheese Sauce: 100ml Single Cream, 50-75g Blue Cheese (To Taste), 1/2tsp Worcestershire Sauce, Sea Salt, Cracked Black Pepper
1) Begin by making the duxelle. Heat a sauté pan over a medium heat and melt the butter. Add the garlic, shallot and pancetta and fry for 5 minutes until the pancetta is crisp. Add the mushrooms and sweat for 10-15 minutes until the majority of the moisture has evaporated from the pan – stir frequently. Add the parsley and nutmeg and season with sea salt and black pepper. Set aside to cool.
2) Pre-heat the oven to 200c. Place each chicken breast under some plastic wrap and bash out with a rolling pin or mallet until around 3-5mm thick. Season each breast with sea salt and black pepper. Divide the duxelle mixture in half and spread each half over the inside of the chicken breast – covering entirely. Sprinkle 1tbsp grated parmesan over the duxelle.
3) Roll the chicken breasts up tightly and place each in a large square of kitchen foil. Roll the kitchen foil tightly around the chicken and twist both ends until tight. Transfer to the oven and bake for 25-35 minutes until cooked through.
4) Meanwhile, heat the cream in a small saucepan over a medium heat. Crumble the blue cheese into the cream and simmer for 3-5 minutes until thickened slightly. Add the Worcestershire sauce and season with sea salt and black pepper. Stir to combine and keep warm.
5) Once cooked, remove the chicken breast from the foil. Slice in half and serve with the blue cheese sauce and accompaniments.