A crisp exterior with a light and fluffy centre – these savoury muffins take only 5 minutes to make and are a great afternoon snack. The exclusion of butter means they are relatively healthy – helping the post-Christmas healthy eating regime!
Whilst parmesan and thyme is delicious, the recipe is not restricted to these additions – please experiment! The recipe can be easily multiplied to make more muffins.
Parmesan and Thyme Muffins
140g Plain Flour
1/2 tbsp Salt
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Paprika
2 tsp Thyme Leaves
1/2 tsp Ground Black Pepper
50g Grated Parmesan
1) Pre heat the oven to 200C, line a muffin tin with 6 small muffin cases.
2) Sieve the flour, baking powder, salt, black pepper and paprika into a mixing bowl and stir to combine.
3) In a jug – whisk the milk together with 1 egg. Fold this mixture into the dry ingredients lightly.
4) Reserve 1 tbsp of parmesan and add remainder along with the thyme to the mixture and fold lightly to combine.
5) Spoon the mixture evenly between the muffin cases. Whisk the remaining egg and glaze the top of each muffin. Sprinkle the remaining parmesan over the top of the muffins.
6) Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. Transfer to a wire rack to cool a little.
Best enjoyed warm!