Lamb rump is a fantastic cut which is becoming ever more popular. Here lamb rump is marinated in a spiced oil before being seared and roasted.
Za’atar and orange blossom spiced yogurt and homemade flatbreads are the perfect accompaniment.
Spiced Lamb Rump, Za’atar, Flatbread
For the Lamb: 4 Lamb Rumps (Trimmed), 4tbsp Olive Oil, 2 Garlic Cloves (Crushed), 2tsp Cumin Seeds, 1tsp Cayenne Pepper, 1tsp Turmeric, 2tsp Ground Coriander, 1tbsp Lemon Juice, 1tsp Sea Salt
For the Za’atar Yogurt: 125ml Natural Yogurt, 3tsp Za’atar, 2tsp Orange Blossom Water
For the Flatbreads: 125g Plain Flour, 125g Self Raising Flour, 1tsp Fine Sea Salt, 2tbsp Rapeseed Oil, 150ml Warm Water
1) Combine all of the ingredients for the lamb (excluding the lamb rump) in a shallow dish and mix well to combine. Add the lamb and coat well. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours.
2) Make the flatbreads by mixing the flours, salt and oil together in a large bowl or mixer. Gradually add the warm water whilst mixing until combined. Continue to mix/knead until a smooth dough is achieved. Wrap in cling film and allow to rest for 15 minutes.
3) Make the Za’atar yogurt by combining all of the ingredients in a small bowl – add the Za’atar and orange blossom water to taste.
4) Divide the dough into 8 equal portions and roll out until thin. Store the flatbreads between sheets of cling film until ready to use.
5) Pre heat the oven to 200c. Place a large frying pan over a high heat. Sear the lamp rumps for 2 minutes on all sides until well seared. Transfer to the oven and cook for a further 10-15 minutes until cooked to your liking. Remove and allow to rest for at least 10 minutes.
6) Meanwhile, cook the flatbreads in a large non-stick pan over a high heat for around 2 minutes each side. Keep warm until ready to serve.
7) Slice the lamb rump and serve with the Za’atar yogurt and flatbreads.