Za’atar roasted chicken is served with homemade parsley tahini, parsley salad and lightly pickled red onion. Taken from a recipe by Ottolenghi.
Any leftover chicken makes a great salad and the tahini can be used as a salad dressing when mixed with a little rapeseed oil.
Za’atar Roast Chicken with Parsley
For the Chicken: 1 Whole Chicken (Quartered and Backbone Removed), 3 Garlic Cloves (Bashed), 3 Red Onions (Thinly Sliced), Rapeseed Oil, 2tsp Ground Allspice, 1tsp Ground Cinnamon, 1/2tsp Grated Nutmeg, 1 1/2tbsp Ground Sumac, 1 Large Lemon (Thinly Sliced), 150ml Chicken Stock, 2tbsp Cracked Black Pepper, 3tbsp Za’atar, 1tsp Sea Salt
For the Tahini: 150ml Tahini, 2 Garlic Cloves (Finely Chopped), Large Handful Flat Leaf Parsley, 1tbsp Lemon Juice, 1/2tsp Sea Salt, 1tsp Honey
To Accompany: Large Handful Curley Parsley (Chopped), 2 Red Onions (Finely Sliced), Sea Salt, Toasted Pinenuts, Bread Wraps
1) Combine the chicken with the garlic, rapeseed oil, red onion, allspice, nutmeg, sumac, cinnamon, lemon, black pepper and sea salt in a large bowl. Cover and leave to marinade for at least 2 hours in the fridge.
2) Pre-heat your oven to 200c. Place the chicken in a deep baking tray and spoon over the marinade. Pour over the chicken stock and sprinkle with the za’atar. Roast the chicken in the oven for around 45 minutes or until cooked through.
3) Meanwhile, make the parsley tahini by combining all of the ingredients in a small food processor with 4tbsp water and blitzing to a fine paste. Set aside to serve.
4) Mix the sliced red onions with a little sea salt and set aside until ready to serve. When the chicken is ready, remove from the oven and slice from the bone (if preferred).
5) Spoon the marinade over the chicken and serve in wraps with the tahini, red onion, and chopped parsley. Great served with toasted pinenuts.