A delicious and simple dish of roasted venison loin with pea purée, buttered sprouting broccoli, pancetta and black pudding.
Great served with spiced wedges and charred shallots.
Venison Loin, Pea Purée
1kg Venison Loin, 400g Fresh Peas, 50g Unsalted Butter, 350g Purple Sprouting Broccoli, 10g Salted Butter, 75g Pancetta (Diced), 200g Black Pudding (Cubed), Sea Salt, Cracked Black Pepper, Fresh Thyme, Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1) Preheat the oven to 190c. Remove the venison from the fridge and allow to come to room temperature for around 20 minutes. Meanwhile, boil the peas in a pan of salted water until tender and drain (reserving the cooking liquor). Transfer the peas to a blender, add 25g of the butter and enough cooking liquor to loosen. Blend to a fine purée and pass into a clean bowl. Season to taste with sea salt and keep warm.
2) Season the venison with sea salt and black pepper and seal in a hot pan with a little oil for around 3 minutes each side. Add the remaining butter and baste the meat with the melted butter. Transfer to the oven and roast until cooked to your liking.
3) Meanwhile, crisp the pancetta and black pudding in a little oil in a hot pan for around 10 minutes and set aside.
4) When the venison is cooked, remove from the oven and wrap in kitchen foil – allow to rest for around 10-15 minutes. Meanwhile, lightly steam the broccoli before combining with the salted butter and season to taste with sea salt.
5) Slice the venison and serve with the pea purée, broccoli, pancetta and black pudding. Top the venison with a few thyme leaves and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.