A great steak sandwich is often a hard thing to come by. Banish the uninspiring condiments and tough steak with this improved recipe for the ultimate steak sandwich.
Sirloin steak is paired with homemade Dijonnaise, a little blue cheese and caramelised onions. Best served with homemade, spiced oven wedges.
Steak and Blue Cheese Sandwich
For the Dijonnaise: 1 Small Onion (Finely Chopped), 1/2 Garlic Clove (Crushed), 1tbsp Unsalted Butter, 300ml Single Cream, 2tbsp Dijon Mustard, 1tbsp Chopped Fresh Tarragon, 1 tbsp Chopped Fresh Parsley, Pinch Grated Nutmeg, Sea Salt, Black Pepper
For the Wedges: 500-750g Maris Piper Potatoes (Cleaned and Wedged), 4tbsp Olive Oil, 2tsp Paprika, 2tsp Mild Chilli Powder, 2 1/2tsp Garlic Powder
For the Sandwich: 4 Sirloin Steaks, Bread for Four (Ciabatta or Country Loaf etc), 4 Large Onions (Thinly Sliced), 2tbsp Olive Oil, Watercress, Mild Blue Cheese, Sea Salt
1) Preheat the oven to 190c. To make the wedges, par-boil the potatoes in a large pan of salted water. Drain on kitchen towel. Mix the olive oil, paprika, chilli powder and garlic powder together in a large bowl. Add the wedges to the oil mixture and stir to coat well. Place on a baking tray and transfer to the oven for around 1 hour or until crisp and golden. When ready, keep warm and season with sea salt.
2) Meanwhile, make the Dijonnaise. Sauté the onion and garlic in the butter for around 10 minutes or until golden. Add the single cream and Dijon mustard and bring to a simmer. Reduce the mixture until thick. Take off the heat and add the tarragon and parsley and season to taste with nutmeg, sea salt and black pepper.
3) Caramelise the 4 sliced onions in the olive oil in a heavy bottomed saucepan for around 30 minutes or until golden and sticky.
4) Meanwhile, season the steaks and sear on a hot griddle until cooked to your liking. Allow to rest for at least 10 minutes.
5) Warm the bread and slice the steak. Spread a good amount of Dijonnaise on each portion of bread, top with the caramelised onions and a little crumbled blue cheese. Top with watercress. Serve the sandwiches with the homemade wedges.
Reblogged this on global_food.
Looks perfect. Lovely bread too!
That looks delish! What other types of potato can be used?
Sounds amazingly tasty…
And you’ve just inspired my lunch 😀 This looks amazing!!!
That’s my kind of sandwich! Looks fantastic.