This incredible Catalan sauce is great served with roast and barbecued meats.
Served here with roast rib of beef and watercress salad.
2 Red Peppers, 1 Long Shallot (Finely Chopped), 3 Tomatoes (Chopped), 2 Garlic Cloves (Finely Crushed), 1tsp Paprika, 1/2tsp Smoked Paprika, 1/2tsp Chipotle Powder, 1 Slice Bread (Gluten Free If Required), Olive Oil, 75g Blanched Almonds, 1tbsp Red Wine Vinegar, Sea Salt
1) Preheat the oven to 220c. Blacken the red peppers on a gas hob or under a hot grill. Transfer to the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until tender. When ready, remove from the oven, deseed and chop into large chunks.
2) Meanwhile, coat the bread with a little olive oil and fry in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat until well toasted on each side. Remove from the pan, chop into cubes and set aside.
3) Place a little olive oil in a saucepan and add the shallot. Sauté for a few minutes until soft and add the tomatoes and a little sea salt. Add 3tbsp of water and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes until the sauce is thick.
4) Add the chopped peppers, tomato and shallot mixture, garlic cloves, paprika and smoked paprika, chipotle powder, chopped fried bread and blanched almonds to a food processor. Add around 3tbsp of olive oil and blitz until your desired consistency is achieved. Add the red wine vinegar and sea salt to taste and stir well to combine.
5) Transfer the mixture to a bowl, cover and store in the fridge until ready to use. The sauce will keep in the fridge for a few days.