A bbq classic which can be enjoyed all year round. Chicken (on the bone of course!) is marinated in a fiery jerk seasoning before being oven baked then finished on the griddle.
Great served with rice and peas – this version omits the coconut milk for a lighter supper.
Jerk Chicken, Rice and Peas
For the Chicken/Marinade: 1 Whole Chicken (Quartered), 2 Scotch Bonnet Chillies, 1tsp Ground Cinnamon, 1tsp Nutmeg (Freshly Grated), 1/2tsp Ground Allspice, 1tbsp Fresh Thyme Leaves, 6 Spring Onions (Chopped), 1tbsp Dark Brown Muscovado Sugar, 1tsp Sea Salt, 1tbsp Dark Soy Sauce, 1 Garlic Clove (Crushed), Juice 2 Limes
For the Rice and Peas: 250g Long Grain Rice, 10 Spring Onions (Finely Chopped), 2 Medium Red Chillies (Finely Chopped), 3 Garlic Cloves (Finely Chopped), 1 Tin Black Eyed Peas, Vegetable Oil, Sea Salt
1) Place all of the chicken marinade ingredients (except the chicken) in a spice grinder/food processor and blitz to a fine paste. Place the chicken in a shallow dish and massage the marinade into the meat. Cover and place in the fridge to marinade for at least 6 hours or preferably overnight.
2) Preheat the oven to 200c. Place the chicken in a pre-heated baking tray and cover the tray with foil. Bake in the oven for around 40 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
3) Meanwhile, boil the rice according to instructions until cooked through, drain and set aside. Place a wok over a high heat and add a little vegetable oil. Fry the garlic, chilli, spring onions and black eyed peas for 3-4 minutes. Add the rice and stir fry with the other ingredients until piping hot. Season well with sea salt and keep warm.
4) Place a griddle pan over a high heat. When the chicken is cooked, remove from the oven and sear on the griddle pan for around 5 minutes each side – or until the skin is crisp and slightly blackened.
5) Serve the chicken with the rice and peas and a wedge of lime.