For a healthier alternative to the classic Tikka Masala look no further than this delicious recipe for Tikka Dal.
Red lentils provide bulk and great depth of flavour – acting as a great canvas for a spicy, tomato-based sauce and curry paste.
Best served with homemade roti and a good spoonful of natural yogurt.
For the Curry Paste: 2tbsp Tomato Purée, 1tbsp Vegetable Oil, 1tsp Turmeric, 1 Garlic Clove, 2tsp Chilli Flakes, 2tsp Smoked Paprika, 2tsp Garam Masala, 1/2tsp Sea Salt, 1tsp Coriander Seeds, 2tsp Cumin Seeds, 1inch Fresh Root Ginger
For the Curry: 1tbsp Vegetable Oil, 200g Red Lentils, 1 Quantity Curry Paste (Above), 1 Tin Chopped Tomatoes, 1 Red Onion (Chopped), 1 Garlic Clove (Crushed), 500ml Vegetable Stock, 100g Fine Green Beans, Large Handful Chopped Coriander
1) Make the curry paste by combining all of the ingredients in a spice blender and process until smooth.
2) Place a large casserole dish over a medium heat. Fry the onion and garlic in the oil for 10 minutes until soft. Add the curry paste and fry for 2 minutes, stirring continuously.
3) Add the chopped tomatoes and vegetable stock and bring to the boil. Add the lentils and turn the heat down low. Simmer the curry for around an hour or until the lentils are tender – you may need to add a little extra water every so often to stop the dal becoming dry.
4) Once the lentils are tender, add the green beans and cook for a further 10 minutes. Before serving stir through the chopped coriander.
5) Serve the dal with some natural yogurt and rotis.