This take on the classic lemon meringue pie uses a biscuit base and Tarte au Citron filling – making for a lighter and more refreshing tart whilst ensuring the filling is rich and packed full of flavour.
This recipe is made with a gluten free base (the topping is naturally gluten free) which can be substituted for an ordinary biscuit base if desired. If you have spare meringue mixture, spoon onto a lined baking tray and place in the oven with the lemon meringue pie to make delicious meringues.
Lemon Meringue Pie (Gluten Free)
170g Gluten Free Digestive Biscuits
70g Unsalted Butter (Melted)
9 Large Eggs
400g Caster Sugar
Zest 2 Lemons
Juice 5 Lemons
250ml Double Cream
4 Egg Whites (At Room Temperature)
200g Caster Sugar
1) Pre heat oven to 150C. Place the digestives in a food processor, whilst blitzing slowly pour in the butter until well combined. Transfer to a small lined cake tin (preferably spring form or one with a removable base). Bake the base in the oven for 10 minutes.
2) Meanwhile make the filling: Whisk the eggs with the caster sugar and lemon zest in a large bowl until smooth. Stir in the lemon juice, then add the cream. Continue to whisk until all the ingredients are thoroughly combined. Pour the filling into a large jug.
3) Pour the filling onto the biscuit base (whilst it is still in the oven). Bake for around 30-45 minutes or until the mixture is set. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
4) Meanwhile make the meringue: Put the egg whites in a large bowl. Whisk to soft peaks, then add the sugar a spoonful at a time, whisking between each addition without over-beating. Spoon the meringue onto the lemon filling – piling it towards the centre.
5) Return the pie to the oven for around 30 minutes or until the meringue is just starting to brown. Remove and allow to cool.