Tapioca is difficult to get right, but when you do you are rewarded with one of the most comforting desserts imaginable – which pairs gloriously with fresh mango purée. Blackberry or cherry also make a great substitution for the mango.
Tapioca and Mango Pudding
1 Cup Small Pearl Tapioca (Not Quick Cook)
8 1/2 Cups Semi-Skimmed Milk
3/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
2 Large Egg Yolks (Lightly Beaten)
1 tsp Vanilla Bean Paste
1 Pinch Fine Sea Salt
2 Ripe Mangoes (Peeled, Cored and Chopped)
1 tbsp Water
1) Place 3 cups of the milk in a large saucepan with the tapioca, leave to sit uncovered for 1 hour.
2) Add the remaining milk, egg yolks, sugar, vanilla and salt to the pan and stir to combine.
3) Place the pan over a medium heat and bring to a simmer, stirring continuously – be careful not to boil.
4) Turn down the heat and continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture thickens and the tapioca pearls appear soft and translucent – around 15 minutes. The tapioca will continue to thicken as it cools.
5) Pour the tapioca into a dish, allow to cool slightly then cover with cling-film to stop a skin forming.
6) Make the mango purée by combining the mango and water in a food processor and blitz until puréed.
7) Serve the tapioca with the mango purée and a little lime zest.