A vibrant, delicious granita is just the ticket to welcome in the warmer weather. Soft as snow and bursting with the fresh flavour of summer, this orange granita is very simple to make and is the perfect thing to have sitting in the freezer – ready to pull out when the sun appears.
Granitas can be made out of just about any fruit; however, the sweet taste of freshly squeezed oranges rekindles childhood memories of eating frozen orange juice ice lollies in the back garden, the juice slowly melting all over my front!
The use of an ice cream maker makes this granita less icy than some, although the recipe would work equally as well with the traditional method.
Makes Approx 1 Litre
700ml Freshly Squeezed Orange Juice
1) First make a syrup by placing the water and fructose in a small pan over a medium heat and stir to dissolve the fructose. Once dissolved set aside.
2) Mix the orange juice and vodka with the syrup and place in the fridge for a couple of hours to chill down.
3) Transfer the mixture to an ice cream machine and churn for around 20 minutes until the mixture is not quite ready – holding together but not fully set.
4) Transfer the mixture to a small tub and place in the freezer overnight.
5) To serve, scrape the mixture with a fork to form the granita and spoon into glasses. Serve immediately.